Being able to see points and percentages for each assignment is often important to students. It’s also important for instructors. To adjust what you and your students see, go to your Grades, then click on Settings in the upper right.
From here, you will have three tabs:
- Personal Display Options– What you see in the Grades area.
- Org Unit Display Options– What students see in the Grades area.
- Calculation Options– How the Final Grade columns are calculated.
Let’s just look at the Personal Display options, but the same options are available in the Org Unit Display Options. The key elements are under “Grade Details”:
- Points Grade – The points earned on the assignment, subtotal or final grade.
- Weighted Grade– The weighted calculation for the assignment, subtotal or final grade.
- Grade Scheme Symbol– By default, this is a percentage. This can be customized, but is a more advanced topic.
- Grade Scheme Color– Blue is an A, Green is B, Yellow is C, Orange is D and Red is an F. Students rarely understand this, so only use color for cosmetic reasons.
A glance at Org Unit Display Options shows the same options under Grade Details:
You will notice the options are very similar. The only difference is the number of decimal places and whether you want to display how final grade was calculated to users. These items are ones entirely at your discretion. When you are done, be sure to click Save.